US-Iran Ceasefire Officially Expires as 60-Day Deadline Passes With No Deal in Sight
The Islamabad memorandum that paused February's US-Israel-Iran war ran out at its deadline with Washington and Tehran still deadlocked over the Strait of Hormuz, stoking fears the fighting could resume.
A 60-day countdown that both Washington and Tehran once called a path back from war quietly ran out this weekend, and by Monday morning neither side could agree on what had actually just happened.
The Islamabad Memorandum, signed on June 17 after a brutal military campaign the US and Israel launched against Iran in February, gave negotiators two months to turn a shaky truce into a final settlement. That window closed Sunday into Monday with no agreement, no formal extension, and, according to Iranian officials, no real negotiation to speak of.
"We did not have a ceasefire to extend," Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said, insisting the June memorandum marked the end of the war itself rather than a temporary pause requiring renewal, according to The New Arab. He added that Tehran has "not yet made a decision to restart negotiations with the United States," with only indirect messages passing through Qatari and Pakistani mediators.
The Hormuz standoff at the center
The single biggest obstacle remains control of the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow chokepoint that carries roughly a fifth of the world's oil and gas. President Trump has repeatedly floated seizing it outright, declaring last week that "pretty soon I'll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States," and telling reporters "there's nobody to negotiate with," according to The National. Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi shot back that the waterway "was Iran's, is Iran's, and will remain Iran's," to be opened or closed "under Iran's command" alone.
"There's nobody to negotiate with." — President Trump, on the collapsed talks
The standoff has already throttled commercial traffic through the strait to a trickle, and both militaries remain on a hair-trigger footing around it, per CNBC. Washington has kept a naval blockade in place, while Tehran has periodically shut the passage in response, and the Pentagon has acknowledged firing on a cargo vessel it said breached the blockade.
Iran's list of demands for returning to the table is long: a permanent halt to strikes on Iranian and allied territory, an end to the naval blockade, sanctions relief, a US troop pullback from the region, compensation for war damage and the release of frozen Iranian assets. Washington, meanwhile, is reportedly preparing fresh economic measures; Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said sanctions "never before seen" would be applied to Iran, according to Al Jazeera.
Analysts say the practical fallout may be limited in the immediate term, but the trajectory is worrying. Tehran has reshuffled its negotiating team toward harder-line figures since the deadline talk began, and US officials have privately conceded their own leverage is thinner than it looks: interceptor stocks used against Iranian and Houthi missile fire have been drawn down, and America's strategic petroleum reserve has fallen below 300 million barrels for the first time since the early 1980s as the war has knocked more than 11 million barrels a day of Middle Eastern output offline at various points.
Regional mediators in Qatar, Oman and Pakistan are still working the phones, but with both capitals now insisting the other side broke the deal first, diplomats say a fresh round of formal talks is not imminent. For now, the ceasefire's expiration is being described by several officials as largely symbolic — the war, they note, never really felt over to begin with.