UAE Slams Shut Trade With Iran After Accusing Tehran of Firing Missiles at Its Coast
The United Arab Emirates halted all trade and financial dealings with Iran "until further notice" after accusing Tehran of launching two ballistic missiles at its territory — the first such strike in more than a month. Iran calls the accusation a "false flag."
The United Arab Emirates announced Wednesday it is suspending all trade and financial transactions with Iran, hours after accusing Tehran of firing two ballistic missiles toward Emirati territory in the first confirmed attack on the Gulf state in more than a month. The move marks a sharp escalation in a war that has dragged on for nearly six months, and threatens to sever one of Iran's last major economic lifelines.
According to the UAE's Ministry of Defence, air defence systems detected the missiles on Tuesday evening, triggering an emergency alert across several emirates — including Dubai and Sharjah — at 6:52pm local time. Residents were told to "immediately seek a safe place in the closest secure building." The all-clear came roughly ten minutes later. Officials said one missile fell within UAE territorial waters and the other landed outside them; no injuries or damage to land were reported. The defence ministry said it remained "fully equipped" to counter further threats and accused the missiles of "targeting maritime traffic."
The UAE was a regular target of Iranian strikes after war broke out between Iran and a US-Israeli coalition in late February, but attacks largely stopped following a ceasefire and framework deal signed in mid-June, allowing trade through Dubai's Jebel Ali Port to partially resume. That calm frayed after the agreement collapsed and fighting between Washington and Tehran resumed; a 60-day US-Iran negotiating window lapsed just a day before Tuesday's alert, according to Al Jazeera.
Tehran calls it a "false flag"
Iran flatly denied responsibility. Foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei rejected the accusation as "baseless" and described the incident as a "false flag operation," arguing the claim "contradicts the principle of good neighbourliness" and urging regional states to avoid unfounded allegations against Tehran.
"ALL TRADE, COMMERCIAL EXCHANGES AND FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS WITH IRAN HAVE BEEN HALTED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE," the UAE Foreign Ministry said in a statement announcing the embargo.
The economic stakes are considerable. Mark Kimmitt, a retired US general and former assistant secretary of state, told reporters that Dubai is Iran's largest trading partner, supplying roughly a third of Iran's annual imports — more than China or Turkey combined — and functions as a critical financial conduit Tehran has used to soften the blow of Western sanctions. Cutting that link off, he argued, could prove more damaging to Iran's economy than the sanctions themselves. Euronews reported that Iran had already broadened its target list in recent weeks to include Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan as the wider conflict ground on.
Wednesday's alert was the first confirmed missile threat against the UAE since a July 12 incident, and only the second since the June ceasefire framework was signed, following a period of relative calm that had allowed some normalcy to return to Gulf shipping lanes. Whether the embargo holds — or whether Abu Dhabi and Tehran find a way to de-escalate as they did in June — is likely to shape how the wider US-Iran conflict evolves in the days ahead. Regional carriers and insurers are watching closely for signs of further disruption to Gulf shipping routes already strained by months of intermittent strikes.