Technology

The first brick by human urine and bacteria

Researchers in South Africa have created the world’s first brick made of human urine. Bio-brick has been created by mixing urine with sand and bacteria. Bacteria that produce the enzyme urease break down urine urea, producing calcium carbonate, which in turn makes the sand compact.

When this material is placed in the desired mold, in two to six days there has been a brick. The more the mixture is allowed to solidify, the more durable the brick is. It takes about 25 to 30 liters of urine to produce a brick, which smells bad at first, but within 48 hours the urine smell has gone completely.

When creating the bio-brick, which takes place at room temperature, without requiring high temperatures up to 1,400 degrees Celsius as for normal bricks, nitrogen and potassium are produced as byproducts, which can be used to produce fertilizers (also in normal bricks the by-product is carbon dioxide that is burdened by climate change).

“It’s a classic example of how you can rethink things. You get something that’s considered waste and you’re making many different products, “said lead investigator Dr Dylon Randal of Cape Town University, according to British” Guardian. ”

About 90% of urine is water, but the remaining 10% contains very useful substances. As Randal said, “urine is liquid gold,” as it contains large amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. He was certain that in the future “such bio-bricks will be used to build buildings”.