Health

Diabetes mellitus is high-risk for pregnancy

A recent major research, published by Scandinavian scientists in scientific journal “The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology”, has given more light to our already existing knowledge of the complexity of diabetes. What they essentially argued is that diabetes ultimately involves 5 different diseases and its treatment must be adapted to each patient’s case separately.

Today, we know that diabetes is divided into types 1 and 2. The first is also known as insulin-dependent or juvenile diabetes resulting from the autoimmune destruction of insulin-producing pancreatic β cells.

Type 2 diabetes is characterized by high blood sugar, insulin resistance, and relative insulin deficiency. It is responsible for about 90% of cases of diabetes, while the remaining 10% is due to type 1 diabetes and gestational diabetes.

All forms of the disease increase in the long run the risk of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure and limb amputation. And of course we should not forget to stress that all forms of diabetes today are being treated safely, due to the many medicines that are in circulation.

Pregnant people should understand that any appearance of diabetes should be treated with great care and maturity on their part. This is because high blood sugar in the pregnant woman may affect the health of the fetus, such as causing damage to her heart. Researchers at the University of California at Los Angeles have found that high glucose levels, due to diabetes or other factors, prevent fetal heart cells from maturing.

Scientists have found that when heart cells are exposed to high levels of glucose, they create more structural elements of DNA than usual, leading them to breed rather than mature. The severity of the symptoms it causes varies and can be caused by a slightly impaired cardiac muscle and no symptoms in the neonate until severe cardiac deformities requiring surgery.

In conclusion, the pregnant woman should remember that pregnancy diabetes, when treated with medication and changes in the daily diet, does not pose any risk to the fetus or herself. Neither his appearance during pregnancy signifies some significant health problems in the future for the woman, as she herself follows a balanced diet and daily exercise.